I have a new neurologist. Its great. No, it really is. I hated my last one. He was competant, but just not as informative as I thought he should be. Nor did he have any bed side manner. I was coming up on my next check-up with the old neurologist, and just decided I couldn't do it. I didn't want to go through another appointment that felt pointless, and not really wanting to say how I felt, because I knew he would just prescribe me something and send me home.
Another main reason I found a new guy is that I've had my first relapse. It wasn't bad. Very mild actually. It had been going on about a week, stayed ankle and below, and just was hot, no numbness this time. I guess the weekly meds are working. I wasn't even sure it was happening, but the neurologist said it had lasted long enough, and been enough different from my normal feelings that we would medicate me just in case. Good side, I got to have oral meds this time instead of IV. The oral meds in the long run are a lot safer, and easier on the body. Quite a few doctors think the IV work better though. I don't know, with 75 years to be doing this, I'd rather go with safer. The new guys says in the long run, the oral and IV work about the same. Again, I'd rather treat the long run. Its no fun to end up sick from side effects of treating the chronic issue.
The whole getting a new doctor and having a relapse was a bit of an eye opener though. As long as I don't relapse again in the next five months, no one will worry too much, but if I do, we'll need to do a more serious check to make sure the MS isn't moving too much. Relapsing did made it all the more real. I guess I'm not in the lucky majority who only get reminded every 10 years or so that they have MS. I guess I can deal with it as long as it stays mild. Almost makes the shots worth it. Everyone else I know or have met has much more serious relapses.
I also got my blood work done, and as far as I know everything came back normal. It only took me three months to get up the courage, and find the right drug combination, to allow someone other than Ted to poke me. At least I have another six months before I have to do that again...
In other good news, my eyes are still free and clear of any MS. I was really happy to hear that. I'm really scared that the next sign of progression will be going blind. I guess its pretty normal to go temporarily blind. I think I'd rather stick to the numb feet, or the slight limp I have occasionally when my injectable hits a nerve.
On non MS related news, I have a new favorite ice cream flavor. Last winter we discovered this local ice cream and I love their sorbet. Last week we were shopping and I found some of their gelatao. They have one called Key Lime and Graham Cracker. Oh yes! Lovely. I have been treasuring my pint for almost a week now. It is the perfect almost summer treat. Almost makes me wish it was summer and I could use it as a retreat from the miserable weather. I think the lemon sorbet will be that though. (Not new, I love ice cream in all forms)
I got an email today telling me my graduation application would be complete as soon as I emailed in my thesis. I finished it last summer, so it wasn't a bit deal to email in, but it felt really strange. I really am done. Soon I'll have a diploma, and I'll actually hang it on the wall. I'm not sure why, but this one means a bit more to me. Maybe just because of everything that has happened while I have been working on this degree? At least I feel like I've grown the most, and learned the most with this one. It just feels like the end of something more than any of my other degrees did. Probably because I already knew I was enrolled for the next one every other time. This time I don't know if I'll ever go back and finish. Time, money, and health (not really in that order). We'll see.
Abi came to visit a bit back with one of her friends. It was SO much fun. I didn't get to do everything with them because of work, but the time I did get to spend was fantastic. It was the first time I liked going out to Coney Island. We even got some great pictures. And as always, had wonderful food. I had my first Ray's Pizza, some amazing popcorn, and the new Junior's chocolate cake cheesecake. We're planning on going down to DC on our way to Ada's graduation so I'm already looking forward to seeing Abi again. We'll get to see David and Anna too, so that will be fun.
I think that is about all that is new. Its kinda a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- September 2011 (1)
- September 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (2)
- November 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (3)
- March 2009 (1)
- February 2009 (3)
- January 2009 (3)
- December 2008 (2)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (1)
- September 2008 (2)
- August 2008 (3)
- July 2008 (4)
- June 2008 (9)
- May 2008 (4)
- April 2008 (7)
- March 2008 (6)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (2)
No comments:
Post a Comment