Friday, April 11, 2008

blogs...

One of the students and I were talking this week, and long story short, the fact that I blog came up. He couldn't believe that I blogged and thought it was a bit strange. I on the other hand didn't think it was that odd. He works and lives in Cali and goes to school in NY. I thought that was pretty similar to me having my family all on the west coast and me being on the east coast.
He wanted to know why my friends and family didn't just keep up with a Facebook account or something similar. We joked about blogs being the perfect way to let your family know the things you wanted them to know, versus Facebook just being way too much access to info. And he had to run to class.
I didn't think much of it until Ted was Skyping with his family the other night and Steve mentioned something from my blog. I knew some of my family read my blog, I just don't know how widely circulated it is. I figured people would keep up with my crafty blog if anything. It has more pictures.
But then I started thinking about my conversation with the student. I owndered what he thought of blogs and why people write them. Why I didn't seem like someone who would?
I don't really write for anything in particular, and there is a ton I don't write. (Brecken - sometimes I do still hate the city, I just try not to record it too much. Its simpler to just think we're here and I need to learn to live with it.) I do tend to keep some blogging separate from the rest, mostly just because my crafty blog may someday be linked to a small business endeavor, but not really for any other reason.
Blogging for me is more about writing things down, important or not, bouncing ideas of long time friends, or just sometimes getting words out faster than I can write them. I like that I share the info with my family, especially because I'm not really a phone person, but I don't expect or need to hide my blog from family, friends, etc. But I guess it does say something when your father-in-law either directly or indirectly keeps up with your not hidden, but not publicized blog. But for me that is a good thing.

So - moral of the story, you know you are loved when your father-in-law knows about your life via your blog.

No comments: