Sunday, June 1, 2008

bittersweet

This week Ted has his first "real" movie shoot. He is helping out with a friend's summer project for grad school, and is very excited. To be honest, I'm really excited for him too. The two guys he is working with are wonderful people and have some amazing experiences being film makers. I'm happy that he'll have people to be around that know what he is talking about because I'm sure explaining everything to me helps him remember, but doesn't help him get much better.

The crazy part is going to be that the current shoots are all night scoots. Midnight to 8am. All week long. Part of me is sad, and saying, "but you're not going to be home". The other part of me knew this was going to happen someday and is really happy for him. I know he needs to start working in film instead of just reading about it. Besides, I knew I couldn't marry a guy who wants to be in film and expect him to have a 9 - 5.

Mostly, I'm just really happy we've had the last few years literally to ourselves. We've been able to work and go to school, but pretty much spend every other moment of the day together. I've always thought we were really lucky to have that kind of time. It isn't something a lot of people have the luxury to experience.
Especially after the last fall and spring, I've been really greatful that we don't have huge outside commitments.
On the other hand, I also know that life can't stay that way, and probably shouldn't. We both know we need to start spending more time with other people, or I'll probably drive him crazy. At least, we're really lucky to be in a community where we can both pursue our careers and interests.

1 comment:

breckster said...

When my film-maker left this morning he said, "See you on friday night." We always pretend he is on a business trip when he is in production. We'll see how well he sleeps during the day with Reuben in the house.

Justin was three hours late for the date that I knew he was going to propose because of a film shoot. I should have taken it as a sign... but I was in love. The nice thing about being a film widow, is that you are only a film widow for a couple months out of the year, the rest of the time you are just really really poor.