Well, maybe not, I don't think anything could be undergrad with Marty and Kat, but this came pretty close.
Like I said, I didn't actually attend either of my ceremonies as a student. But I did work at the Columbia ceremony, so I was present, but didn't have to sit in the sun and roast. Or get rained on. I did get to shout and clap when the TC degrees were conferred.
After the ceremony finished, I made sure the Law School stuff was doing what it was supposed to. My coworkers planned a lovely reception. Then I took lunch and went up to TC to grab my diploma.
While I was there I ran into Naoko, the only person I knew who graduated this year, and also an old coworker. And I stopped by to see all the guys I used to work with in A/V and the facility staff. It was so much fun. I saw the people that mattered to me while I was there. I felt like I had the closure I've been looking for. I didn't really care about leaving as a student, but I did care about thanking the people that I had spent my time with. The people I worked with. It was so much fun to see people and talk and say hi without feeling like I had a conflict of interest (student or coworker). I've already got lunch plans with some of them.
The only bummer was that it started raining on my way back to work and my diploma cover bled onto my diploma. I now have a lovely blue mark in the middle of my diploma. I haven't decided if I'm going to find out if I can order a new one, or if I'm going to leave it the way it is. I'm leaning towards leaving it the way I was. I wasn't really excited about graduation, and felt pretty jaded about education in general, but spending a few minutes with my old coworkers and running back to the office barefoot in the rain (I wasn't about to run in my heals) is an experience I want to remember. It made me smile.
It really made my graduation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- September 2011 (1)
- September 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (2)
- November 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (3)
- March 2009 (1)
- February 2009 (3)
- January 2009 (3)
- December 2008 (2)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (1)
- September 2008 (2)
- August 2008 (3)
- July 2008 (4)
- June 2008 (9)
- May 2008 (4)
- April 2008 (7)
- March 2008 (6)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (2)
2 comments:
Congratulations! I'm glad you could find a way to celebrate that fit your needs. :)
Save the diploma with the blue stain. It will always remind you of the unexpected pleasure of the day.
Post a Comment