Sunday, June 8, 2008

"funny" things

Prior to cracking Grandpa open, the doctor decided to do an angiogram. Good thing too. He couldn't find any of the damage in Granpa's heart.

Long story short, Grandpa had another stroke, is totally malnourished, has multiple infections, and is bedridden, but does not, apparently, have heart problems. None of the doctors can figure out what is going on. Grandpa is being moved to a care facility so that people can monitor him all the time. Mom describes it like House in real life. They just keep trying things. Maybe one of them will work.

I'm not sure I how I feel about everything going on, but I can say that I appreciate the support around me. Ted and my coworkers are being really supportive and telling me to do whatever I want about the whole thing. I don't think I'll go out though unless he recovers to a point that he knows what is going on, or dies. I may go out if mom is there too, but I'm not sure I could visit by myself. Grandpa has always been one of the dominant male figures in my life, and the last few years it has been very hard to watch him slow down so much.

I think the family is just hoping that something is either found or he dies peacefully. Grandpa has lived a long life and done many wonderful things. But his body has been through so many strokes. It could just be wearing out. I know he isn't the man I used to know. When we talk on the phone, he doesn't remember. When I see him he doesn't always know who I am. He usually calls me Srepta (his first wife, my biological Grandmother). Its hard to watch a person's body stop working. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him.

I'm disappointed in my grandmother(his second wife). She decided to go to Vegas for the week. Granted, the trip was planned before Grandpa started having problems, but I guess I like to think if I didn't know if Ted was going to live, that I would stay with him instead of going to have a party weekend with my daughter and see the US Open.

Its odd to be disappointed in someone you have looked up to. I've been mad at my family, confused, even utterly disgusted, but I don't think I've ever watched someone do something that made me loose respect for them the way I am for Grandma. Not only is she taking of to Vegas for the next week, she already told mom that she couldn't and wouldn't take care of Grandpa if he didn't get better. Maybe it is just how the story is getting to me, but that just sounds like she is washing her hands of him.

I guess we all grow up differently. It just sees to me like some people grow up then down again.

1 comment:

breckster said...

Isn't it strange the emotions we, as grandchildren, experience as our grandparents deteriorate. I hope I am years and lots of years away from dealing with the emotions of loosing a parent, or even spouse. I lost a grandpa when I was 7, a grandma when I was 17, and a grandpa when I was 23. It was much harder at 23 than 7 or 17. We'll include you in our prayers.