For many reasons, we have broken down and purchased our first A/C unit. We talked about it last summer, but knew we didn't want to move one, so we put it off a bit longer. We don't anticipate a horrible summer, but moving from a shady first floor to a sunny sixth floor does make a difference. The fans just don't cut it anymore on the really humid days.
What I find the most interesting is the process to purchase the A/C. We're admittedly psycho about making large and small purchases together. I decided pretty quickly that I only wanted things in the house that we both like/fit the budget/etc. This makes buying kitchen spoons a bit of a big deal.
This time we knew we couldn't go together; my work schedule just wasn't going to allow shopping adventures this week. So,we surfed all the reviews, checked prices at just about everywhere we could get to in half an hour by car, and spent way too much time looking at service plans, energy efficiency, and figuring out how to compensate for our huge windows. This morning Ted left to go pick up the unit of choice, and I left for work. I never thought an A/C unit would be such a large choice. It was time though. I also feel good about it, because I know we agree.
On a bit larger scale, I feel like we have crossed some imaginary threshold. We now own a really nice mattress/bed, an A/C unit, an apt. worth of furniture, and all our kitchen desires. It really feels like a complete house. Maybe not as large as I pictured it being when I was young, but it really does feel complete.
I didn't think it would happen this quickly. I know how funny that sounds. Something about New York and being students made me feel like we wouldn't really settle down/build our home for at least a few more years. I didn't realize how well I had done at accumulating basic things before we got married. Or how generous people would be with wedding presents. Somethings I've even realized I really don't care about. The things we did need, we have been careful to buy quality and save money by not buying too much or too fancy. We are really blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- September 2011 (1)
- September 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (2)
- November 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (3)
- March 2009 (1)
- February 2009 (3)
- January 2009 (3)
- December 2008 (2)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (1)
- September 2008 (2)
- August 2008 (3)
- July 2008 (4)
- June 2008 (9)
- May 2008 (4)
- April 2008 (7)
- March 2008 (6)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (2)
No comments:
Post a Comment