Saturday, August 16, 2008

music

I don't normally think too much about what I've done in life, or where I've been. For the most part I seem myself as a relatively average student, who had her bright moments, and when I apply myself I even have had a few moments of brilliance. But they are few an far between. Most days I don't see the girl who my instructors do, and don't really understands the ones I have disappointed, or lived up to their expectations.
Although, days like today, when I discover something relatively simple, but with great humor, and possibly beauty, I realize that I do have something that not everyone has, and I get a bit sad. I wish more people could hear or see beauty in things. I wish I could hear or see the beauty others can.
Today specifically, I wish we could all hear music for more than sound. I ran across a string group called The Vitamin String Quartet. More so it is a group of publishers who write for string quartet by adapting popular music to classic and baroque rules.
This wouldn't be that interesting to most, but I understood it. It wasn't just music. I could see the theory in it, and appreciated the probably hours that someone spent arranging the music. I found odd amusement speculating that the recordings were first of second takes, because the musicians were most likely sight reading. And loved it even more knowing that it was filling a musical void that could bring people together.
Today is one of those days where I don't feel like I was the bottom (almost) of my theory class. I could actually hear the chord progressions. I see the page in my mind, and appreciate what it must have been like to be a Mozart or a Beethoven. I still wouldn't trade places though. Musical knowledge is a wonderful thing, but I'm glad I'm not trapped by it either.
Occasionally, I know what I could be, and I'm happy just to be me.

No comments: