Yesterday at work Nali was talking about how much she loved fall in the northwest. We talked about collage and how much fun it is to be young in the NW. So many things to do and see.
Our conversation planted a seed in my brain about "home", and I realized as much as I love New York, sometimes I still think of Oregon as home. I don't think of California as home anymore. I'll call it home when I talk about my parents, or where I grew up. I still think it is a great place to live, grow a family, or be in general, but I don't long for it. Occasionally I long for Oregon.
I guess my mind stayed on what I loved about Oregon, because as I was falling asleep it hit me that it hasn't rained in about a month, and I remembered how much I loved the first few rains of Fall in Oregon. I especially loved how the trees next to Rogers would look right after a morning rain. They never would turn color at the same time. So you would get a stoplightesque set of colors as the glissening leaves shook in the wind.
Magic, today we had a blustery day that has threatened to rain all day long. The clouds have been overcast and gray. The wind forceful but still just warm enough not to be a pain. Hats and jackets are definitely decorative. You can almost smell the rain. Maybe tonight I'll get to fall asleep to the sound of rain on my window. Not a harsh cold winter rain, or a humid sticky summer rain, and honest to goodness washing the city clean and making it a better place to be rainstorm rain.
I know for many people this first overcast day is a sad circumstance, but for me it is an answer to an unspoken prayer of the mildly homesick heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- September 2011 (1)
- September 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (2)
- November 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)
- April 2009 (3)
- March 2009 (1)
- February 2009 (3)
- January 2009 (3)
- December 2008 (2)
- November 2008 (4)
- October 2008 (1)
- September 2008 (2)
- August 2008 (3)
- July 2008 (4)
- June 2008 (9)
- May 2008 (4)
- April 2008 (7)
- March 2008 (6)
- February 2008 (3)
- January 2008 (2)
2 comments:
agreed.
Your talking about New York makes me homesick! Of course, you would have to go across the river to the Jersey ghetto to be in my home, but still. I miss the east coast during fall. So beautiful!
Post a Comment