Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall already

You know Fall has come because I'm shopping for summer. I don't think I ever shop in season if I can help it. I just can't stand paying the price stores want for the clothing I want.

The shopping proved very fruitful. I specifically wanted some nice work shirts for next summer. I always struggle with what to wear in the summer. So, I took advantage of a super good sale and bought some silk blouses for next summer. I cannot say how excited I am for hot weather again.

It was really nice to feel like I picked up something that was nicer than I normally would. Another little payoff from a long summer at work. I knew I wouldn't have purchased if it wasn't for the continued good fortune of overtime. I guess these blouses will be my tribute to summer.

I also hit a good sale at Pottery Barn. Normally I despise the place, but something in the window caught my eye, and while it was way too expensive, I did find a candle lantern with a top. I've been searching for one since my last one broke. I enjoy a burning candle in the evenings during winter, but I hate soot. Thus I rarely burn them. But I found the perfect lantern with a top, and plenty of ventilation, so the smell gets out, but not the soot.

I justified it by saying it was good for emergencies too. Oddly enough, not really, Ted agreed with me. Next time they go on sale, or ideally clearance we hope to pick up two more. Between those and our hand crank flashlights we feel good about about getting one more step towards being prepared for an emergency.

It has been really nice to settle back into a routine of work and school. I have one night a week to myself. I'm planning on starting a UFO night for the knitters I know. I think it will be fun. Not that you need to knit to come, but so many of us do things, but don't have time to finish, that at least it will be an option for people.

Last week I worked on some photo editing that I have been putting off since last winter. My parents brought us out to visit last January and I took some horrible pictures of the Golden Gate. I was so heartbroken when I saw the prints I couldn't even look at them for quite a while. Normally I can find a decent picture in just about anything if I take my time, but the sunset made it really hard and the light never quite photographed the way I wanted. Well, two nights at a computer, and we have some usable prints. I may even get them on the wall before this January.

While I've been going through a mass of pictures from the last year, I miss the crazy travel from the past month, but it is nice to be home too. We were able to spend some amazing time with our families this summer. I just wish I had more pictures, or could bottle some moments and hold them for a rainy (or windy as the case may be) day.

On other fronts, being home has let me get started on so many new projects. I'm not finishing much... but I am steadily posting to the esty shop, and working on many new hat designs. Ted is going to see the Godfather this weekend, so maybe I'll get some quilting done!

I think mostly I'm just happy to be quiet for a while.

And PS - Nothing new on my MRIs. Happy news. In two weeks will be my one year mark. I'm feeling good.

No comments: