Sunday, September 5, 2010

a little petty

Fall is my FAVORITE time in New York, and while we aren't quite there yet, it is in the air. Last week I packed up all my summer clothing (mostly because I can't wear it anymore anyway) and stuffed it in the already full pantry. I'm left with my very limited summer maternity wardrobe (I never did get all the sewing done I wanted to), and my luxuriously warm winter clothing that I'm hoping will fit post baby. Notice the three month gap in my wardrobe?
I have one new maternity sweater that I'm hoping will pair with all my summer maternity stuff to get me through fall. I'm also hoping to pick up two more pairs of work pants on a super sale somewhere as my skirts just aren't cutting it for me anymore. With NY wind, I don't want to deal with keeping them down and making sure my belly is covered.
Now for the truly petty part, I think I'm mourning fall sweaters. I have a quite lovely collection of brightly colored pull overs that just make fall days a bit brighter. I could transform a select few into maternity cardigans, or as they are all only one year old and hacking them up, even into something equally fun just doesn't feel right, pack them into a box until I can wear them again.
All this comes from my latest quest to get a super cool pair of rain boots on super clearance, finding said rain boots, and then realizing I don't think I'll be able to wear them until next year because they are pull on pull off, and shortly I won't be able to reach my toes to make said motion. I should not have started thinking about my other favorite fall items that I'm going to be the wrong shape for.
And beyond feeling silly for mourning my sweaters and rain boots, I just feel silly to not be happier about how well the baby is doing. She is very active, measures well, and is on schedule for a healthy delivery. Our family is thrilled for us, and we are doing the few minimal things to get ready for her with plenty of time to spare. I guess the long and the short of it is that I'm pretty blessed that this is the big problem I think about at night when the baby isn't sleeping, so neither am I.

4 comments:

Alison K. said...

I have on maternity dress that i kept for you... that will be pretty good for fall, it has long sleeves. Now i will get my but in gear and send it to you!!

breckster said...

wow...bad friend I am, I completely missed the whole baby thing! Congratulations!

My problem is, I rarely buy anything new, except for when I don't have anything that fits--So all of my new favorite things are maternity. and I am not pregnant way more often than I am. :)

momu said...

You won't need as much fall stuff as you ordinarily would--a summer wardrobe (if it fits) is perfectly comfortable for a mama with a little oven in her tummy keeping them both 10 degrees warmer than the rest of us.

Katie said...

Sam and I are also really bad friends. Congratulations!